Logistics is of crucial importance for the global economy nowadays. Supply chain disruptions are now a fact of life because of the imminent threat of health crises, armed conflicts, trade wars, and border closures. Under these circumstances, logistics companies need to apply the full potential of tech to keep things running and deliver goods and services. Below, Andersen is going to provide an overview of logistics software development issues, relevant types of logistics software, and the logistics software features most needed nowadays.
Logistics software development statistics
The supply chain software market is expanding. As Statista reports, this segment generated $15.75 billion in revenue back in 2020. In 2021, this rose to $16.94 billion. As for 2022, it is expected to reach $18.04 billion. However, as Statista stresses, these figures do not ‘yet reflect market impacts’ of the ongoing armed conflict in Ukraine. This means we can expect much more impressive rates.
Why develop custom logistics software?
As long as we are observing a clear upward trend, it must be driven by a range of powerful factors and more or less urgent needs.
A comprehensive survey held by Gartner back in 2021, after the COVID-pandemic had started, provided the following insights into the rationale behind investing in custom logistics software:
- 89% of supply chain professionals intended to make their logistics operations more agile;
- 87% of them prioritized resilience;
- 56% were pursuing a higher level of automation to make their onshore operations more economically viable;
- 52% had to face the challenge of national interests ‘to favor domestic operations’;
- 45% saw cost-efficiency as the main concern;
- 30% stressed the need to shift toward regional models, instead of more globalized ones.
With this in mind, it is safe to assume the following chain of reasoning under the present conditions:
Constantly precarious state of affairs
Pandemic risks, armed conflicts, and trade wars create an environment of uncertainty and lack of predictability.
Ever-present supply chain issues
As a result, severe disruptions become a fact of life and ‘deglobalize’ the world around us, to some extent at least.
Entire range of challenges to be resolved
Hence, logistics professionals want their businesses to be capable of matching a range of simultaneous and even conflicting tasks. Namely, their companies and flows have to be both resilient and agile, combine a global reach with a strong focus on regions, and stay up-to-date while retaining cost-efficiency.
Greater need for custom software
The sheer scale of this challenge makes investing in custom logistics software solutions inevitable.
Essential logistics software development features
While each company’s logistics and transportation is unique and needs a tailored-fit logistics software solution, there are still some guidelines for ‘must-haves’. On the basis of our expertise, we can offer the following list:
- Inventory control and management software needed to track and monitor your assets. The list of available features in this context includes processing purchase orders, controlling supply levels, managing fulfillment procedures, building data-driven and dynamic forecasts, ensuring price monitoring, and optimizing your supply chain in general.
- Transportation management needed to control and monitor your fleet operations. As for the range of available features in this domain, it covers route planning and optimization, behavior monitoring, dispatching procedures, fuel control, payload, and cost assessment.
- Warehouse management needed to manage your stock and stock locations. Naturally, such functionalities include barcodes and product scanning, resource allocation, picking and packing features, and surveillance technologies.
- Tracking features needed to keep an eye on your flows and the condition of your vehicles in real-time. With recent advances in technology, one can benefit from such advanced and reliable features as IoT solutions, telematics, GPS technologies, geolocation, navigation, and dynamic mapping.
- Risk management and logistics BI solutions needed to aggregate and use data to make data-driven and successful decisions. In this context, you obtain tools for real-time data collection, processing and building projections, and forecasts via customizable dashboards.
- Accounting and CRM systems helping you process day-to-day operations and win customer loyalty with logistics-specific report generation, account management, and data visualisation features.
Types of logistics software used today
As for choosing a certain type of custom-built logistics software, this depends on which features you need. At Andersen, we offer the following functional scopes:
- Fleet management software aimed at improving the way you use the vehicles with route planning and optimization opportunities, GPS tracking and telematics, scheduling, mapping and navigation tools, reporting tools, and integrations with third-party platforms.
- Car sharing, pooling, and rental solutions that make it possible for you to benefit from the growing demand for shared mobility. Within this framework, you can obtain such functionalities as booking, rate management, car tracing and tracking, geolocation, contract management, etc.
- Warehouse management software to monitor the amount of available products, send timely notifications, scan goods, replenish your stock, etc.
- Order management solutions enabling you to process parcels, deliver them cost-effectively, and deal with numerous fulfillment issues.
Andersen’s expertise in logistics software development
Over the years, Andersen has developed a range of advanced and feature-rich logistics software solutions. Below, you can find a selection of the most illustrative examples:
A solution for supply chain and freight management on a global scale
This project was carried out to connect all the possible participants of sophisticated supply chains, including shippers, agencies and individual agents, suppliers, etc.
A fleet management solution with advanced functionalities
This initiative was delivered to process and display significant volumes of transportation data in real-time, monitor the changing situations via maps and graphs, and generate needed forms and documents.
A successful car rental and sharing app
This solution was built to enable end-users to easily find and choose the best matching and closest car across a number of regions.
As you can see, whatever your exact logistics issue may be, our engineers and designers are a perfect match for it.
While it might seem cheaper and quicker to use off-the-shelf solutions, ordering custom-built software is the best match for your logistics company if you want to operate in this competitive, precarious, and uncertain market. Over the years, we have delivered numerous complex and feature-rich products. That is why approaching Andersen would be an advantageous step for you.
Wir sind immer bereit, Ihre Herausforderung zu analysieren und Ihnen dabei zu helfen. Rufen Sie uns für einen Start an!
Vereinbaren Sie Ihren kostenlosen Beratungstermin
Benötigen Sie Unterstützung bei der kundenspezifischen Softwareentwicklung?
Unser Experte kontaktiert Sie kurzfristig nach der Analyse Ihrer Geschäftsanforderungen
Bei Bedarf unterzeichnen wir auch eine NDA, um Datenschutz zu gewährleisten
Unser Pre-Sales-Manager legt ein umfassendes Projektangebot vor. Dieses Angebot enthält u.a. Schätzungen, Fristen, Kandidatenprofile für eine spezifische Anfrage
Das für Ihr IT-Projekt zusammengestellte Team kann innerhalb von zehn Werktagen starten